On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 at 02:45, Eric V. Smith <e...@trueblade.com> wrote:

> On 2/11/2022 2:01 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 at 16:37, Christopher Barker <python...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> sure -- but it does live in os.paths now, the docs talk about paths, and
> >> it is useful for paths -- so it seems a fine idea to have that
> >> functionality in pathlib.
> > One way that tying it to paths is bad is that it ignores the path
> > structure. If environment variable a is "d1/f1" and b is "d2/f2" then
> > "${a}x${b}" is "d1/f1xd2/f2", which could be very confusing to someone
> > who sees the value of b and expects the result to be a file in a
> > directory called d2. Yes, I know that the documentation could make
> > this clear (the docs in os.path don't, BTW) and I know that it's no
> > different than the os.path version, but adding an expandvars method to
> > pathlib feels like throwing good money after bad...
> >
> > Let's leave it where it is and keep the status quo, or fix it
> > *properly* and put it somewhere more logical like shlex. Personally I
> > don't use it that often, so I'm fine with just leaving it alone.
>
> I'd like to see a Path.expandvars(), something like:
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> import os
>

> def _expand_part(part, allow_sep_in_env_var):
>      # Expand environment variables in 'part'.  If allow_sep_in_env_var is
>      # False, the resulting string cannot contain a path separator.

Why would you ever set it to False?!? In realistic use, interpolating
environment variables into paths is *expected* to be able to include
path separators. $HOME might be "/home/foo" or "/root", temporary
directories could be anywhere (and, on Windows, on any drive), etc,
etc, etc. What is the use-case for a feature designed for paths that
can't handle paths?

ChrisA