I know this is probably too much self promotion, but I really enjoyed
writing this less than a year ago: https://gnosis.cx/regex/ (The Puzzling
Quirks of Regular Expressions).

It's like other puzzle books, but for programmers. You should certainly
still get Friedl's book if you don't have it. You can read mine online in a
couple versions. But the printed one is nice looking, and the artwork shows
better).

In particular, I'd love to send signed copies to any of the folks with
familiar names here. Maybe pay me for shipping, but you don't have to
(within the US, media mail is cheap, elsewhere in the world is expensive,
unfortunately). Or buy from Lulu if you don't care about autograph... Or
read for free, of course.

I get a little bit into the obscure theory of this thread. But mostly I
think you'll just laugh, and experience occasional confusion.