On Tue, 5 Apr 2022 at 05:44, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:
> > Should 2.54 in / 1 cm evaluate to 2.54 in/cm or should
> > it evaluate to 1? I'd much rather it evaluate to 1
>
> There are only two reasonable ways to parse that, depending on
> precedence of units and operators:
>
> * (2.54 inches) / (1 cm) = 6.4516 (dimensionless)
>
> * (2.54 inches / 1) * cm = 6.4516 cm**2 (or 1 square inch)

This second format is nonsense, and demonstrates why these need to be
tagged numbers, NOT simple multiplications.

> If there is a third way, I can't think of it. In any case, I don't see
> how you can get 1.
>
> Maybe you mean 1 inch per 2.54 cm? This is why we need unit management
> :-)

The question is really whether it's dimensionless or retains some
record of the fact that it's length/length. The aspect ratio of a
rectangle is really a length/length measure, even though it's
technically dimensionless. An index of refraction is also
dimensionless, but you can't talk about them as being equivalent.

ChrisA