I have not personally ever used the walrus operator, and I don't think I've
even seen it used in the wild, either.

That's not a commentary on how useful it is, but that it takes time for
changes like this (that can't be back-ported) to get much real world use.

So no, I don't think it's time to relax the restrictions -- for the same
reason the restrictions were there in the first place.

- CHB

On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 9:40 AM Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Sun, May 08, 2022 at 04:00:47PM +0100, Rob Cliffe wrote:
>
> > Yes, I know unrestricted use of the walrus can lead to obfuscated code
> > (and some of Steven's examples below might be cited as instances 😁).
>
> They're intended as the simplest, least obfuscatory examples of using
> the walrus operator that is not pointless. That is, an example of the
> walrus as a sub-expression embedded inside another expression.
>
> If you think my examples are obfuscated, then that is an argument in
> favour of keeping the status quo.
>
> I could have given an example like this:
>
>     ((a, b) := [1, 2])
>
> but there is no good reason to use the walrus operator there, it is not
> a sub-expression, and it Just Works if you use the assignment statement
> instead.
>
> --
> Steve
> Message archived at