This idea reminds me of numpy fancy indexing: that is, you can pass
multiple indexes in at once. (See bumpy docs for details). I have no idea
how that might translate to ducts (tulles are perfectly reasonable keys
already) but I know I like it in numpy :-)

That being said, I can’t remember a use case where I would have used it
with dicts.

-CHB

On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 11:04 AM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2022 at 18:02, Stephen J. Turnbull
> <stephenjturnb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > David Mertz, Ph.D. writes:
> >
> >  > These are all far too easy to do with comprehensions to merit new
> methods
> >  > or stdlib functions.
> >
> > +1
> >
> >  > E.g., we might provide additional set-like operators for dicts.
> >
> >  > >>> m - {'a'}  # Would rightval be a set or dict though?!
> >  > >>> m & {'a', 'b'}  # Same question, but set feels better, I think
> >
> > Why not "either"?  Of course if you allow dicts, the question in both
> > cases becomes whether the presence test is on keys or items.  I think
> > keys would be more frequently useful.
> >

> Or even: Any iterable that yields keys? And then the presence test
> would be defined entirely by keys (which makes the most sense). You
> could subtract another dict, or a set, list, or anything.
>
> (You could even subtract the string "ab" to remove keys "a" and "b",
> for what it's worth.)
>
> Of note: https://peps.python.org/pep-0584/#what-about-the-full-set-api
>
> """This PEP does not take a position on whether dicts should support
> the full collection of set operators, and would prefer to leave that
> for a later PEP (one of the authors is interested in drafting such a
> PEP)."""
>
> So if you (or anyone) wants to move forward with this, I would
> recommend (a) reading the notes in PEP 584, (b) reaching out to all
> three authors of it to find out their current sentiment, and (c)
> designing definitive semantics for the operators in question. I'd be
> happy to help with the mechanics of getting a PEP written.
>
> ChrisA
> Message archived at
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/ETCU6O7QGERUFQND5XRBLGHV5OT4CNT3/

Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)