On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 at 07:02, BoppreH via Python-ideas
<python-ideas@python.org> wrote:

> > In close to 10 years of experience with python I have never encountered
> > anything like this.
>
> Here's a small selection of the StackOverflow questions from people who
> encountered this exact issue:

But now try to find people who would be adversely affected by your
proposed change. Unless you do it in a purely backward compatible way
such as the local shadowing of iter(), you WILL break other people's
code. What you've shown is that a small handful of people have
wondered at the reiterability of generators, which is NOT the same as
wanting a warning in these situations.

Even if we consider that every single upvote represents a person who
wants this feature, you've shown, what, a thousand people total?
Across the whole world? That's not exactly an overwhelming number of
people, and hardly enough to make a backward-incompatible language
change.

Let's go back to your earlier incredulity:

> And I have to say I'm surprised by the responses. Does nobody else hit bugs
> like this and wish they were automatically detected?

You've found a dozen questions that have been upvoted by a maximum of
124 people, by your own count (I didn't bother going through all the
questions to check). Let's make some VERY generous estimates:

1) Every upvote represents a unique person (pretending that nobody
browses multiple questions and upvotes them all)
2) Each of those people agrees with your proposal
3) The total upvote count is 1000 (feel free to go and sum them for
me, I can't be bothered)
4) For everyone who upvotes, nine others don't bother to upvote

That'll give an incredibly generous figure of 10,000 Stack Overflow
users who might support your proposal.

Stack Overflow has 21 million users [1]. If we assume that those who
answer their survey are representative (impossible to prove, but the
best we can do), about half of those are Python users [2]. That's
roughly 10,000,000 Stack Overflow users who use Python.

Even if we assume that Stack Overflow users are representative of the
internet at large (they're definitely not, but again, it's good to at
least having some figures), that's 0.1% of people.

So..... yeah, I'm not surprised that none of us here has run into a
problem. I strongly recommend reconsidering the "shadow iter() in your
own code" solution, as it is entirely backward compatible.

ChrisA

[1] https://stackexchange.com/sites and select Stack Overflow - it says "21m"
[2] https://stackoverflow.blog/2023/06/13/developer-survey-results-are-in/