On 08/09/2023 22:19, Christopher Barker wrote:
On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 11:00 AM Barry Scott <ba...@barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

    I see no need for del to return anything, you already have the
    reference in foo.
    The times that foo is dropped at module level are rare enough to
    not need special syntax.

I agree - using del is very rare in my code. The use case of passing a name into a function (or somewhere else?)  and then immediately deleting it is rare indeed -- not worth new syntax.

-Chris

+1.  The only time I can remember using del to delete a variable is after creating a structure with a large memory footprint that is only needed temporarily.
Best wishes
Rob Cliffe

PS Ooh, not quite true.  I have used it to delete a variable that should no longer be needed to detect accidental illegitimate use of said variable.
RC