> On 19 Oct 2023, at 10:27, dn via Python-ideas <python-ideas@python.org> wrote:
>
> On 19/10/2023 19.50, Dom Grigonis wrote:
>> Thank you,
>> Good information, thank you. Was not aware of __set_name__.
>
> IIRC that was one of the updates/improvements. Thanks to whomsoever...!
>
> The:
>
>        instance.__dict__[self.name] = value
>
> may require a bit of thought before it feels comfortable, but it is
> significantly easier to understand than what we had to do 'before'.
I am using `setattr(instance, self.name, value)`. But I see that
instance.__dict__ is more appropriate in this case.

> Another surprise, and I've assumed you're asking in the context of [Custom]
> Descriptors, is in how many places/functions Python makes use of a
> descriptor/descriptor protocol. Yet few of us seem to make use of them in our
> application code...
> (YMMV!)
I use them more and more.

However, I was more interested, why doesn't __set__ have an `owner` argument,
while `__get__` does. I am aware that this is not an issue at all as one can
simply do `inst.__class__`, but I am just curious about the reason for
inconsistency.

Although, answers that I got were very useful.

DG