On 2023-10-21 21:15, Chris Angelico wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2023 at 06:37, Ram Rachum <r...@rachum.com> wrote:

On Sat, Oct 21, 2023 at 10:30 PM Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I love that, but it mostly makes sense for "if there's a match do this, otherwise do that" where
most cases fall into "I'm absolutely sure there's a match here and here's what we should do with that
match", and when that "absolutely sure" fails, the proper way to deal with that is by raising an
exception.

Oh, you mean like AttributeError?

What I propose is like AttributeError in that they are both exceptions, but
unlike AttributeError in that it'll communicate the problem effectively in a
way that's easy to understand, especially by people who aren't Python experts.

When you and I see this:

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'strip'

Which is strong evidence of a bug in your code. You're trying to tell
me that you want a way to enforce that, if the regex doesn't match,
it's a bug in your code. This seems to do that perfectly well.

If it's NOT a bug when the regex doesn't match, you have the standard
conditional form available. I'm not seeing a problem here.

I think what the OP wants is to have re.match either return a match or raise an exception.