On 03/07/2011 10:35 AM, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Rich Megginson wrote:
>>    On 03/06/2011 06:14 PM, Chaos Eternal wrote:
>>> should we re-implement python-ldap on pyasn and get rid of depends on
>>> openldap libs?
>>>
>> I vote no.  Why would you want to do that?  How would you implement
>> TLS/SSL?  How would you implement SASL/GSSAPI?  How would you keep up
>> with openldap client library development, which is the reference
>> standard for LDAP in the FOSS world?
> David and me already thought about this two years ago. And for the same
> reasons Rich mentioned I won't go that route because it's simply too much work
> to get it right. Additionally there's the performance aspect.
>
> BTW: There is already a pure-Python LDAP module called 'ldaptor'.
> http://eagain.net/talks/ldaptor/index.html
>
> But I'm currently using pyasn1 for certain LDAPv3 extended operations/controls
> and therefore I am thinking about adding some of the basic LDAP-related ASN.1
> stuff to python-ldap 2.4.x. But this would introduce a dependency on pyasn1.
> Pros/Cons?
RHEL does not include pyasn1.  But it is extremely useful for
extops/controls - doing BER codec by hand is not fun.  A mid-way
approach would be to expose the liblber ber_scanf/ber_printf and support
functions in python.

If you do decide that it is necessary for python-ldap to use pyasn1, we
can work on getting it into RHEL.  The Fedora python-pyasn1 maintainer
is one of the guys on the freeipa team which uses python-ldap heavily.