Andrew Dalke wrote:

Huh?  I'm talking about my views of myself.  I said that
BASIC was a programming language I could learn without access
to anyone else, on a microcomputer circa 1982.  All I had was
the book that came with the computer, and after a while a
book on BASIC games.

The machine I had was a TI 99/4A.  My Dad got it because the
marketing said "it's a 16 bit processor which is the wave of
the future; the other machine only have 8 bit processors."
It came with BASIC.  LOGO was available, now that others reminded

Seems that we had the same career. :-) I liked the TI 99/4A. Mine is still running, sometimes :-)

TI really made a good job in producing a educational machine.
It was simple, and you could make good results with little effort.
Same with python today.

And whow knows, without the TI, would I post here right now?

--
Greg