Scott David Daniels wrote:
Nick Coghlan wrote:

Jeff Epler wrote:

I don't know about idle, but the "real" python supports the
PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable.

I just tried it - IDLE ignores PYTHONSTARTUP, as does PythonWin (I just started using PYTHONSTARTUP to switch the standard prompt from '>>>' to "Py>').

I believe PYTHONSTARTUP is handled by CPython's main function before it gets to the interactive interpreter.

Cheers,
Nick.

 From the Fine Manual:
    Command line usage
    idle.py [-c command] [-d] [-e] [-s] [-t title] [arg] ...

    -c command  run this command
    -d          enable debugger
    -e          edit mode; arguments are files to be edited
    -s          run $IDLESTARTUP or $PYTHONSTARTUP first
    -t title    set title of shell window

On Windows, it is likely to be idle.pyw.  So, add a -s to the command
line used in the shortcut to start Idle.

Anyone know if there is a similar option to PythonWin? I looked around a bit, but couldn't find one...

Steve