Phil Thompson wrote:

On Thursday 30 December 2004 4:13 pm, Steve Holden wrote:

Phil Thompson wrote:

On Thursday 30 December 2004 2:34 pm, Nanoscalesoft wrote:

hi phil...
py-->2.4
pyqt-->3.3

I assume you mean PyQt-win-nc-msvc-3.13.exe

qt-->2.3.0

I assume you mean the non-commercial edition.

The binaries are built against Python 2.3.3 - Python 2.4 won't work.
Python 2.4 (and later) will never be supported by the non-commercial
edition because of the MSVC 6 vs 7 issue.

Phil

If that is a real *never* then Qt just fell behind in the "what's the best GUI platform" stakes. It'd be a shame to lose PyQT, but if there's no way to migrate it forwards it will atrophy and die. Have TrollTech said they will never issue MSVC 7 binaries?

Is there no way to use the free Microsoft toolchain to compile, or do
the language differences just make the whole deal too difficult (or is
there some other show-stopper that my ignorance prevents me from seeing?).

You've completely misunderstood what I said.

And not for the first time, probably. Mea culpa.

I specifically said the non-commercial edition. This is a binary only version based on Qt v2.3 and released in March 2001 - the first beta of Qt v4.0 has just been released. The commercial and GPL versions of Qt is supplied in source form and supports MSVC 6, 7, Borland, Cygwin and the Intel compiler. PyQt supports all versions of Python since v1.5.2.

Well, OK, so I take it this means that TrollTech have announced they won't be producing an up to date non-commercial edition?

I presume the non-commercial edition is for people who want to use Qt but don't want to pay licensing fees or open their source? Or is the GPL version only available on non-Windows platforms? Of all the GUI platforms I know about, Qt certainly has the murkiest licensing picture.

I think Qt is doing very well in the "best GUI platform" stakes if people still want to use a 4 year old version in preference to up to date versions of the alternatives.

I have no quibble with that - as I know, there are a lot of happy Qt users, and it has an interestingly different architecture. It would be even better if the licensing requirements were consistent across all platforms.

and-if-wishes-were-horses-ly y'rs  - steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119