Paul Rubin wrote:

You should write unit tests either way, but in Python you're relying
on the tests to find stuff that the compiler finds for you with Java.

As I wrote on my weblog a while ago, I suspect that this effect is largely psychological. You jump through hoops, declaring types all over the place, checking exceptions, working around the language's limitations, etc. So when your code compiles, it *feels* safer. Like you're at least part of the way towards ensuring correctness. All that work must be good for *something*, right? Never mind that when writing unit tests for a dynamic language, you don't check for these things at all. How often do you explicitly check types in Python unit tests? IMHO, when using a dynamic language, you don't need most of the checks that Java, C# and their ilk force upon you.

--
Hans Nowak
http://zephyrfalcon.org/