Mark Carter wrote:

> It might be nice if it was widely understood (in IT) that Python was a language any competent
> programmer could pick up in an afternoon

I am a programmer who works for a firm of engineers, where they program in VBA, badly. I've often mentioned Python, whereupon I'm usually dismissed as a crank. One of them expressed concern that if they used Python and I left, then nobody would understand what to do. I could have countered that Python is actually quite an easy language to pick up, but what's the point.

We might be doing a project which involves web-type stuff. I pointed out that if they did, they wouldn't be able to use VB/VBA, and may need to use something like Python. I didn't get a reaction from that at the time, but no doubt they'll be telling me that I'll have to make Excel work through the internet, or something.

They'll probably just move to .NET, which allows them to write .aspx pages using VB.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119