Robert Brewer wrote:

Michael Spencer wrote:

I believe that this "possibility to postpone" divides into two related but separate concepts: controlling the moment
of evaluation, and assembling the arguments required at
that moment. They are both species of 'eval', but managing arguments is more specialized, because it includes possibly renaming parameters, assigning default values,
processing positional and keyword arguments, and, perhaps
in the future dealing with argument types.

Yes, but the "moment of evaluation" is more complex than just "postponing". In a declarative construct, you probably also want global variables to be bound early, so that the expression does not depend upon *any* free variables. Ditto for closures. A more realistic example:

term = input("Enter the amount to add")
e = expr(x): x + term

...MUCH code passes, maybe even a new process or thread...

d = a + e(3)

I see this as simply a combination of both of the aforementioned concepts -- argument control plus moment-of-evaluation control.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International