Jacek Generowicz wrote:
Yes, I was wondering whether I should add lots of caveats to the above.

I thought that might be the case. When teaching, I guess I can understand the need to avoid "well, technically, this isn't always true". It sounds like the students were having a tough enough time of it already :)

Usually one or two have trouble grasping that "int" would be perfectly
adequate in this situation.

The ability to pass around functions at run-time was probably the hardest thing to get my head around when I started with Python, after a history of working in languages where "the compiler knows about types and functions, and the runtime knows about variables and instances".

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia