Alex Martelli wrote:

AdSR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't know haskell, but it looks SQL-ish to me (only by loose

Indeed, the fact that many MANY more people are familiar with SQL than
with Haskell may be the strongest practical objection to this choice of
syntax sugar; the WHERE clause in an SQL SELECT has such wildly
different semantics from Haskell's "where" that it might engender huge
amounts of confusion.  I.e., reasoning by analogy with SQL only, one
might reasonably expect that minor syntax variations on:

    print a, b where a = b

could mean roughly the same as "if a==b: print a, b", rather than
roughly the same as:

    a = b
    print a, b

I wonder if 'with', which GvR is already on record as wanting to
introduce in 3.0, might not be overloaded instead.

IIRC the proposed meaning seems to be most closely related (in my own experience, annyway) to the use of "where" in BCPL (heavens, *that* was a long time ago). I never found that entirely natural either.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119