Paul Rubin wrote:
Brion Vibber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

MediaWiki should run with PHP configured in CGI handler mode, but
these days mod_php has got its claws just about everywhere anyway. If
you control your own server and don't have multi-user security
worries, mod_php is simple enough to install and will probably perform
better.

Thanks, yes, I could run a special apache instance with mod_php
installed.  I'm pretty good with apache.  I have no MySQL admin
experience but I suppose enough people are using MySQL that the
installation procedures and docs are pretty well developed and I can
follow the instructions.

What I'm wondering is just how big an adventure I'd be setting off on,
simply to get MediaWiki itself installed, configured, and running.
Any thoughts about that?

A few months ago I tried and failed to get squirrelmail/php to run with Apache2 and freeBSD 4.9. It seems that php prefers the old style apache 1.3 work flow. I got some help from the php guys, but not enough. I suppose I could have run a separate apache13 server, but that seems like a cop out to me. We don't want to maintain an extra set of configs etc etc.

Mailman, moinmoin and others work fine with apache2 maybe because they use a cgi style interface. I would stick with a pythonic solution unless there's a good reason not too.
-too old to learn a new language-ly yrs-
Robin Becker