sam wrote:

Simon Brunning wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 15:18:09 +0800, sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I m wondering which Excel module is good to be used by Python?

If you are on Windows, and you have Excel, then the Python for Windows extensions[1] are all you need to drive Excel via COM. O'Reilly's "Python Programming on Win32" covers COM scripting extensively - and by good fortune, driving Excel is the example they use, and the COM scripting chapter is on-line[2].

You'll also need to know the objects and methods that Excel exposes.
These are documented on Microsoft's web site[3], or in the Excel VBA
help, which is an optional part of they Office installation.

No, I don't use MS windows. I need to generate Excel file by printing data to it, just like Perl module Spreadsheet::WriteExcel.

thanks
Sam

Hello,

If you can use jython then there is something that does this in java - it's called POI (search for POI HSSF Excel) in google. If you can't use jython and are desperate then you could set up a WebService/cgi/<insert your favourite cross language client/server architecture> and send the information back and forth. I spose you can do this with perl as well (don't know any perl so this bit is only a guess!).

However the last time I looked (about a year ago) POI does have limitations with excel graphs.

Cheers,

Neil