GerritM wrote:
ZDnet features an article about the had patent at AltNet
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5534087.html . Apparantly this issue
plays already for some time, now the p2p companies are threatened, becuase
they use hashing to recognize files.

As far as I know hasing is a very old technique used to quickly look up
information. The use of hashing always requires an idnetity check, because
the lookup is not unique (mapping a very big amount of possibilities on a
limited amount of entries). This is a fast and robust way of finding
information, if the right hashing function is used.

I don't know the details, but I'm willing to bet that the kind of hashes being disputed here are cryptographic hashes, not the kind that Python uses for dictionaries. I'm also willing to bet that the patent won't hold up in court because there's quite a lot of prior art with respect to cryptographic hashes, too.

--
Robert Kern
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  -- Richard Harter