Andrew McLean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a problem that is suspect isn't unusual and I'm looking to
> see if there is any code available to help. I've Googled without success.
>
> Basically, I have two databases containing lists of postal addresses and
> need to look for matching addresses in the two databases. More
> precisely, for each address in database A I want to find a single
> matching address in database B.

Have a look at http://febrl.sf.net

It is a prototype probabilistic record linkage (fuzzy matching) engine, in
Python, which
includes, inter alia, a hidden Markov model address parser. It might be
overkill or (at
this stage of its development) too slow for your application. The next version
(ina
month or two) will include a geocoding engine which could also be used for what
you
want to do, I suspect.

Tim C