Guido van Rossum wrote:
What do people think? (My main motivation for this, as stated before,
is that it adds complexity without much benefit.)

Something important that came up in my response to Marc-Andre:

What about C method implementations which are relying on this typecheck and assuming that 'self' is (nearly) guaranteed to be of the correct type?

The string object implementation is where I noticed this assumption being made, but I suspect it would be fairly widespread.

Obviously, use of im_func can break such code already, but that's a far cry from having C.f skip the type check.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia