Davor wrote:

Is it possible to write purely procedural code in Python, or the OO
constructs in both language and supporting libraries have got so
embedded that it's impossible to avoid them? Also, is anyone aware of
any scripting language that could be considered as "Python minus OO
stuff"? (As you can see I'm completely new to Python and initially
believed it's a nice&simple scripting language before seeing all this
OO stuff that was added in over time)
Thanks,
Davor

Hello,

Yes you can, that is a benefit and flaw of python in that you can mix up procedural and OO code, it allows for simple solutions - however it also allows for you to create all kinds of havoc. IMHO, there would have to be a very very small task to require procedural code. Especially if the code is gonna be open sourced (and presumably built upon) you will benefit from a proper design so that it can be developed and moved on in the future.

One other thing, if your developers are proposing deep inheritance trees in _any_ language then they are designing incorrectly. In none of the languages I code in would I design a deep inheritance tree, the deep inheritance tree is a fault of the designer not the language (for example Java does not force you to design deep inheritance trees!) - 90% of the time. I say this because you do need to be aware of the 'mythical python wand' which will turn you from a bad programmer into a good programmer simply by typing 'class Klass(object):'.

Rather than reading a GOF book, I'd pick up an introduction to OO programming book to take a refresher course - you thank yourself!!

Language without OO at all - what about Logo - drive that little tortoise around!!

Cheers,

Neil