Paul Rubin wrote:
Oh, ok.  Earlier you said you wanted user feedback before you could
conclude that there was reason to want an AES module at all.

I believe I never said that. I said that I wanted user feedback to determine whether *this* AES module (where this is either your from-scratch implementation, or any other specific implementation contributed) is desirable.

Hmm, this is very very interesting.  I am highly confident that all
the purely technical questions (i.e. everything about the API and the
code quality, etc.) can converge to a consensus-acceptable solution
without much hassle.  I had thought there were insurmountable
obstacles of a nontechnical nature, mainly caused by legal issues, and
that these are beyond any influence that I might have by writing or
releasing anything.

These obstacles are indeed real. But I believe they are not unsurmountable. For example, there is the valid complaint that, in order to export the code from SF, we need to follow U.S. export laws. 10 years ago, these would have been unsurmountable. Today, it is still somewhat painful to comply with these laws, but this is what the PSF is for, which can fill out the forms necessary to allow exporting this code from the U.S.A.

Regards,
Martin