In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alex Martelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
You're saying that using a different and better compiler cannot speed
the execution of your Fortran program by 25% when you move it from one
platform to another...?!  This seems totally absurd to me, and yet I see
no other way to interpret this assertion about "Fortran programs not
suffering" -- you're looking at it as a performance _hit_ but of course
it might just as well be construed as a performance _boost_ depending on
the direction you're moving your programs.

I think that upon mature consideration you will want to retract this
assertion, and admit that it IS perfectly possible for the same Fortran
program on the same hardware to have performance that differs by 25% or
more depending on how good the optimizers of different compilers happen
to be for that particular code, and therefore that, whatever point you
thought you were making here, it's in fact totally worthless.

Look at the Fortran compiler benchmarks here:

http://www.polyhedron.co.uk/compare/win32/f77bench_p4.html

for some concrete evidence to support Alex's point.

You will see that the average performance across different benchmarks of different Fortran compilers on the same platform can be as much a factor of two. Variation of individual benchmarks as much as a factor of three.

Some of you might be surprised at how many different Fortran compilers are available!

--
Andrew McLean