Stephen Thorne wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:49:53 -0500, Steve Holden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Aahz wrote:

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Holden  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Note that the sort order isn't perfect - I just sorted on the second
"word" in each name. PyCon is a *great* place to meet people and discuss
ideas. Hope to see you there.

Good thing I'm not coming this year, eh? ;-)

If you mean specifically for sorting purposes, it would have put the null second name at the beginning just like you'd expect.

Odd, the naive way I would have written such a script would have been:

all_names = (line.split() for line in sys.stdin)
sys.stdout.writelines(' '.join(x[1])+'\n' for x in sorted((name[1],
name) for name in all_names))

which would not have worked correctly, it would have thrown an
exception because "Aahz\n".split()[1] does not exist.

I guess the second iteration would use name[1:] instead...

unfortunately-not-going-to-pycon-ly y'rs.
Stephen Thorne

Sorry you can't make it to Python. My even-naiver way of approaching the problem was to use the sort utility built into Cygwin, thereby avoiding writing any code at all.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden               http://www.holdenweb.com/
Holden Web LLC      +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119