yes already noted by Steve, thanks.

I should have spotted that myself straight away but I was too wrapped up in this whole "I didn't realise there were 2 sets of numbers" thing, gotta go read some unix programming books it would seem this is a os function that I am not aware of.

I still reserve the right to be annoyed at commands for not hiding this from me like everything else, but then </F> is right (as always it would seem) I should not be using such a deprecated thing like commands, I will switch to subprocess...

I'm even more surprised since I do so much shell scripting and I've never even heard of this thing before, I guess only the really battle-scarred old skool ones may know of it.

-h
Hari Sekhon

Scott David Daniels wrote:
Steve Holden wrote:

Hari Sekhon wrote:

I'm running a command like

import commands
result = commands.getstatusoutput('somecommand')
print result[0]
3072

No, it's just returning the error code in the top half of a sixteen-bit
value. You will notice that 3072 == 2 * 256.

For the rest of us playing along at home, there is a typo there:
The preceding line should read:
 > value. You will notice that 3072 == 12 * 256.

--Scott David Daniels
[EMAIL PROTECTED]