Steve Holden wrote:

Roland Heiber wrote:

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

It does - thanks.  One more question:  Are pyc and pyo file portable
across operating systems?  I suspect not since I generated a pyo
on a FreeBSD machine that will not run on a Win32 machine.  I was
under the impression that "compiled" meant optimized byte code that
was portable across implementations, but it looks to not be the case...

Hi,

..pyc's should be, cause it's standard python-bytecode, if you use massive optimizations it depends not on the os but on the underlying cpu/architecture ...

So long, Roland

You probably tried to use a bytecode file from *one* version of Python with an interpreter of another version. Python actually checks the first four bytes of the .pyc file for a compatible "magic number" before accepting the file for execution.

regards
 Steve

Aha! Exactly ... and that makes perfect sense too. D'oh! I guess a better distribution strategy would be to have the installation program generate the pyo file at installation time...

Thanks -