[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

--snip--

> As far as I can tell, the machine was compromised on 2006-09-02.

So it was compromised for over a month.

> Irritatingly we didn't find out until just after logrotate had deleted
> the logs for around the time of the attack.

Murphy strikes again. :-(

> It wasn't a very subtle rootkit -- installing a version of netstat with
> different command line options, for example...
>
> > 5. Verifying that such a thing has not happened can be very
> > difficult, particularly if the date and other details of the
> > compromise cannot be accurately determined.
>
> I guess you should find out from the author of whatever you downloaded
> what the checksums should have been for what you downloaded and check
> that against what you downloaded.
>
> If you don't still have the downloaded files, I can tell you what the
> md5's of the files in the back up are.

I don't think that would help in the case of Pywin32 since the
Sourceforge dates for build 210 are 9/22.
I emailed Mark Hammond but have not heard anything back yet.

> > 6. Many organisations give image and pr a higher priority
> > than the safety of their customers/users and wave off security
> > breechs with "don't worry, everything is fine.  We're sure
> > nothing has been touched" when in fact they have no idea.
>
> There is no organization behind python.net.
>
> I am a volunteer.  I help run python.net in my spare time.

Organizations do not have to be formal or official to exhibit
similar behavior.

> > 7. I have seen no public statements or information about
> > this leading me to wonder about the stuation and how it's
> > being handled, hence my seeking of further information.
>
> I'm sorry, I'm busy trying to get the server going again.

I understand, and appreciate your (and the other people
involved) efforts.  I know it must be a royal pain in the
ass.  But I am still responsible for the code I (and my
clients) run so I had to ask.

> > But, I am still completely at a loss why you, he, or anyone,
> > based on the information presented so far,.would conclude
> > that the python security problem is unrelated.
>
> Why would it be?  For all it's position in the community, there aren't
> actually many python web apps running on python.net, certainly not as
> root...

That's what one would hope but to assume that without better
information (such as you just provided) would be foolish.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.