Lisa Horton wrote:
I hear that Python is one of the easiest languages to learn. It is
easier than PHP or Pearl? Is it as useful as those two? I am attracted
to Python as a first language, but I just want to be sure I will be
able to use it.

Opinions, thoughts, thanks!

I haven't done much with Perl, but I did try to learn enough PHP a couple of years ago to do some web development. It wasn't too bad, but it seemed tough to get started for some reason. My experience with Python wasn't like that - it didn't seem to take very long at all to get comfortable with it and start using it for real projects at work (maybe 2-3 months of learning it in my spare time).

I still use Python for >90% of my projects at work. In over 2 years, I haven't run into any situations where I had good reason to choose anything else. The stuff built into the language and the libraries that come as part of the standard Python distribution have made my life a lot easier than it ever was when I was only using C/C++.

Of course, your mileage may vary, depending on what sort of programming you'd like to do. :)

Hope this helps,
Alan McIntyre
http://www.esrgtech.com