Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
vincent wehren wrote:

Philip Smith wrote:

Call this a C++ programmers hang-up if you like.

I don't seem to be able to define multiple versions of __init__ in my matrix class (ie to initialise either from a list of values or from 2 dimensions (rows/columns)).

Even if Python couldn't resolve the __init__ to use on the basis of argument types surely it could do so on the basis of argument numbers???

At any rate - any suggestions how I code this????

Checking the number of arguments ain't all that hard:

class Klass:
   def __init__(*args):
       self.args = args
       if len(self.args) == 1:
           # etc.

This feels rather unpythonic, though.

And it won't work, as `self' is not defined. ;)

You're right of course!

Note to self: Must stop shooting from the hip ;)

-- Vincent

Reinhold