On 2006-12-14, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Neil Cerutti wrote:

>> > I fail to see how it is the same in Python.
>>
>> if self.flee == (foo.humble(pie) / 500 * hats
>>     + hippity.hoppity)
>>
>> The indentation of the second line of that expression is entirely
>> irrelevant to Python. The parenthesis I added means I don't have
>> to use the new-line escape character (\), either.
>
> Is this so unconscious that you don't recognize you are doing
> it, even though you take a sentence to explain what you had to
> do to work around it? Adding parentheses, new-line escape
> characters---all this is a burden specific to Python.

It already indicated that you are right about Python identation
*outside* of an expression, which is where most indentation takes
place in Python. But you were wrong that it is meaningful inside
an expression.

> The reformatting (admittedly generally trivial, although again
> your qualifier of "generally" undermines your point) process is
> extra in Python. Period.
>
> 1) Recognizing where your code begins and ends to begin the
> copy-paste process is not unique to either. Equal.

Reflecting on what you've written, I see you are right about this
issue. Thanks for the correction.

> 5) After you are done, Pythonistas admit there is a possible
> step called "manually correct the indentation."

Meaningful indentation has drawbacks *and* advantages, though.

> This is pointless discussion if you guys can't even see what
> you are saying when you write it in your own posts.

Please don't assume I speak for all Python programmers. They
might be rolling there eyes at me just as much as you are. ;-)

--
Neil Cerutti
In my prime I could have handled Michael Jordan.  Of course, he would be only