Paul McNett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed

> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> But I think we all agree that mixing tabs and spaces is A Very Bad
>> Thing.
>
> I like mixing tabs and spaces, actually. Tabs for indentation, and
> additional spaces to make the code "look pretty". Somebody please tell
> me why this is bad and I'll stop.
>
> class Apple(object):
> def contrived_example_function(self, argument1, argument2,
> argument3, argument4):
> print "hello, world"
>
> Apparently, emacs in python mode follows this convention, too.

That doesn't seem like a standard settings to me. I can't remember
changing the indentation settings for python, nonetheless my gnu emacs
uses four spaces for indentation. Placing wrapped lines into ordered
columns is done by inserting additional spaces. This all happens
automatically; you never need to insert spaces manually...

> I like it because I get the best of both worlds: the only thing
> against using tabs-only-indentation is that wrapping long lines can be
> quite ugly, while space-only-indentation allows for beautifying it
> somewhat by lining up the columns to match.

Did you try to open your code files with another editor, which has a
different length for tabulator chars? It would look quite ugly, I
guess...

                                      (Rosa Luxemburg)