Josh wrote:

Hi All,

I need someone to explain to me how to output a Code39 barcode to a
Reportlab PDF. As far as I can tell, there is no means to do this with
the Canvas object, and the demo that is included with the libraries is
using the platypus Frame to place the barcode on the form. I do not
wish to use this method. I'm guessing that it needs to be placed on the
form as some type of graphic. It's obviously not going to work with the
drawText method. Any ideas?

Thanks

Josh

Hello,

Code39 isn't that complicated a barcode symbology to work with. What you can do is to write some code which can encode a Code39 barcode from a string into a simple graphic. I used to have the official spec for the barcode but that was in an old job. You can get the official spec from AIM - you'll have to pay for it but it's not much. Although beware about the Narrow:Width ratio if you're gonna try and scan the barcode after printing it out - try and get hold of a crappy scanner (I got stung by using a good scanner before in the past).

Cheers,

Neil

--

Neil Benn