Grant Edwards wrote:
In an interview at
http://acmqueue.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=273
Alan Kay said something I really liked, and I think it applies
equally well to Python as well as the languages mentioned:

    I characterized one way of looking at languages in this
    way: a lot of them are either the agglutination of features
    or they're a crystallization of style. Languages such as
    APL, Lisp, and Smalltalk are what you might call style
    languages, where there's a real center and imputed style to
    how you're supposed to do everything.

I think that "a crystallization of style" sums things up nicely.
The rest of the interview is pretty interesting as well.

Then Perl is an "agglutination of styles", while Python might be considered a "crystallization of features"...

-Peter