PA wrote:

On Feb 10, 2005, at 15:01, Irmen de Jong wrote:

Is xdrlib the only option?
I would expect that it is fast and safe because
it (the xdr spec) has been around for so long.

XDR? Like Sun's "XDR: External Data Representation standard"?

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1014.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1832.html

Not "like", but "the". Or at least, a subset. (the xdrlib module documentation says "It supports most of the data types described in the RFC").

How does XDR copes with Unicode these days?

Not directly, it seems that you have to encode your unicode strings yourself first .

Alternatively, perhaps there is a ASN.1 DER library in python?

http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/en/standards/index.htm

I don't know. Is there?

PS the xdr format is not self-describing in the way that marshal and pickle streams are. That is a big limitiation for what I need it for so xdr seems to drop off my radar. Is an ASN.1 stream self-describing?

--Irmen