Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
So they admit that it makes no sense - especially as decoding a utf-8 string
given any 8-bit encoding like latin1 will succeed.

So in the end, I stand corrected. But I still think its crap - But not MS
crap. :)

Oh, good. I'm not the only person who went "A BOM in UTF-8 data? WTF do you need a byte order marker for when you have 8-bit data?"

It also clarifies Martin's comment about the UTF-8 codec ignoring the existence of this piece of silliness :)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia