Erik Johnson wrote:
    I am aware of ChartDirector (http://www.advsofteng.com/ ) which
explicitly supports python and seems to be about the right level of
sophistication. I don't really know of any other packages in this space, do
you? I am seeking feedback and reccomendations from people who have used
this package or similar ones. I am particularly interested to hear about any
limitations or problems you ran into with whatever package you are using.

We use both the Python and C++ bindings of ChartDirector (although their license always spans /all/ supported bindings. It's all pretty straight-forward, well-documented, and the license fee is a bargain compared to other packages we've used in the past. What it is not suitable for is maybe allowing for 3d-views of data cubes - changeable on the fly.

--
Vincent Wehren