In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Bjoern Schliessmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:

> > The only difference I can discern is that the browser send \r\n
> > for end-of-line while telnet just sends \n.
> > But I don't see why that should make any difference.
>
> Easy. If you only accept "\r\n" as EOL, you'll wait forever unless
> you really receive it.

But it's SELECT that is hanging.  Select knows (or ought to know)
nothing of end-of-line markers.  Readline (when it is called) is doing
the Right Thing, and my end-of-request test is (currently) reading a
line less than 3 characters long.  All that is working.  The problem is
that select is saying there is no input (and therefore hanging) when in
fact there is input.

rg