Tijs wrote:
> Robin Becker wrote:
> Zip files contain a bit flag for the character encoding (cp430 or utf-8),
> see the ZipInfo object in module zipfile and the link (on that page) to the
> file format description.
> But I think some zip programs just put the path in the zipfile, encoded in
> the local code page, in which case you have no way of knowing.

thanks for that. I guess the problem is that when a path is obtained from such
an object the code that gets the path usually has no way of knowing what the
intended use is. That makes storage as simple bytes hard. I guess the correct
way is to always convert to a standard (say utf8) and then always know the
required encoding when the thing is to be used.
--
Robin Becker