On May 27, 7:50 pm, Raymond Hettinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The groupby itertool came-out in Py2.4 and has had remarkable
> success (people seem to get what it does and like using it, and
> there have been no bug reports or reports of usability problems).

With due respect, I disagree.  Bug ID #1212077 is either a bug report
or a report of a usability problem, depending on your point of view.
You may disagree on whether or not this is a problem that needs to be
be fixed, but it *is* a report.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1212077&group_id=5470&atid=105470

I think the semantics of the itertools groupby are too tricky for
naive users--I find them confusing myself, and I've been using Python
for quite a while.  I still hope that Python will someday gain a
groupby function suitable for ordinary use.  Until that happens, I
recommend the following cookbook entry:

# from http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/259173

class groupby(dict):
    def __init__(self, seq, key=lambda x:x):
        for value in seq:
            k = key(value)
            self.setdefault(k, []).append(value)
    __iter__ = dict.iteritems