> I patched Objects/listobject.c to support
>   L.count(value, cmp=None, key=None).
> I tested it with the same script above by replacing slist
> with built-in list.  It worked correctly with this small
> test.  The patch is below (126 lines, I hope that's not

Great! If you want this change included in Python, you should post it
on SourceForge's patch tracker at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5470&atid=305470. Optionally,
you can also ask if people like the patch on python-dev. But IMHO, the
odds of this patch being accepted are slim (borrowing from the example
in the last thread):

  persons.count("olle", key = attergetter("name"))

is longer and just barely more readable than

  sum(1 for x in persons if x.name == "olle"))

--
mvh Björn