I'm fairly new to python myself (with about 16 years of various languages); I found py2exe fairly straightforward to use.
The instructions are ok, but if you care to see it I took some notes and threw them into an article on my company site.

<http://home.agilemarkup.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=27>

Regards

- Mitch

Phillip Mills wrote:
I've learned enough of the Python language to be mildly dangerous and have used it in a few personal projects. All my development of commercial (or production) products over the past dozen years have been done with C++ or Java.

For a program I'm planning -- to begin during the summer -- having an interpreter as part of the application would be very desirable to allow sophisticated users to provide their own extensions. Java would be do-able, but....

My problems are:
- I'd like the process of installing the application to be one step; no "first download a Python interpreter then a GUI library" kind of thing.
- I also need the core part of the application to be reasonably protected. I'm not looking to defeat hackers, but something equivalent to the way Java's class files stored in jars stay where they're supposed to be and aren't immediately readable.

I've looked at various web sites for this topic, but most I've found are just arguments for using the Python language. OK, I'll pretend I'm convinced...now any comments or references on the mechanics of creating a self-contained distribution?