On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:25:29 +0000, Duncan Booth wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Not quite, because that will also convert strings to tuples, which may
>> not be what you want for a general solution.
>
> I take it you didn't actually try the original code then.

No I didn't.

> Converting strings to tuples is not something it did.

Ah yes, you're right. The old "single characters are sequences too"
gotcha bites again.

>> That works for all data types I've tried, and it insures that the keys
>> it makes from different types are distinguishable:
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> make_dict_key([(1, 2), (3, 4)]) != make_dict_key({1: 2, 3: 4})
>
> Really? It seems to me to be quite easy to get a clash:

> (<type 'list'>,)
> (<type 'list'>,)

I should have said "tries to insure". It isn't strictly possible to avoid
all clashes, even in principle. For any mutable object M, if make_dict_key
(M) returns a key K, then make_dict_key(K) will also return K.

However, the clashes are for unusual containers with a type as the first
element, instead of "usual" containers containing lists, tuples, strings,
etc. Unless you deal with tuples with the first item being a type, you
shouldn't come across any clashes.

Also: nice work on supporting recursive data structures, thanks.

--
Steven.