Brian Kazian wrote:
Here's my problem, and hopefully someone can help me figure out if there is a good way to do this.

I am writing a program that allows the user to enter an equation in a text field using pre-existing variables. They then enter numerical values for these variables, or can tell the program to randomize the values used within a certain bounds. My problem is taking in this equation they have written in the text field and converting it into an equation Python can calculate.

The only way I know of to do this is by parsing it, which could get pretty nasty with all of the different mathematical rules. Does anyone have a better idea than parsing to compute an equation from a string representation?

Thanks so much!

Brian Kazian

eval()

See: http://docs.python.org/lib/built-in-funcs.html#l2h-23