Derek Basch wrote:
XHTML 1.0 specs, Appendix C
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
C.3 Element Minimization and Empty Element Content

Given an empty instance of an element whose content model is not EMPTY (for
example, an empty title or paragraph) do not use the minimized form (e.g.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'd like to point out that this is *not* a minidom bug. minidom cannot possibly know that the document type is XHTML, and that strange, non-XML rules apply to XHTML (i.e. rules which are not present in XML itself).

I'd also like to point out that XHTML Appendix C is informative (i.e.
non-normative), meaning that failure to comply to it does not imply
non-compliance with XHTML. An XML file which uses the minimized form
for the script element is still proper, well-formed, valid XHTML.

How do I get minidom to NOT render an empty script element? Should I submit a
bug report?

That said, I think there is a simple solution: add an empty Text node to the script element:

script_node_0.appendChild(doc.createText(u""))

[Disclaimer: this is untested; from reading the source, I think it should work]

Regards,
Martin