Jeff Shannon wrote:

Are you sure that you really need that single-element list?

No I'm not sure, I thought I found a concdition where it made a difference while playing with it, but I don't recall just what circumstance it was?

Don't forget, in Python, all names are references. You only have to be careful when you start re-binding names...

Since more than one name can bind to an object, this would be better.

def getvinfo( vars, v ): names = [] for n in vars.keys(): if vars[n] is v: names.append(n) return names, v, type(v)

a = [2]
b = [2]
c = b

print getvinfo( locals(), a )