Thanks to everyone who answered my two questions. I have only submitted questions twice, and on both occasions the solutions were excellent, and, I'm emarrassed to say, much simpler than I thought they would be.

My next goal is to be able to help someone they way y'all have helped me.

Thanks again,
Lance

Kent Johnson wrote:
Kotlin Sam wrote:

Also, I frequently use something like s/^[A-Z]/~&/ to pre-pend a tilde or some other string to the beginning of the matched string. I know how to find the matched string, but I don't know how to change the beginning of it while still keeping the matched part.

Something like
re.sub(r'^([A-Z])', r'~\1', target)
should do it.

Kent