A_H wrote:
Hi, I'm using PyExcelerator, and it's great,

If you are using the latest released version, it's not, IMO. Reading the fixed-later bug reports on Sourceforge may prompt you to get the latest version from svn. Reading the unfixed bug reports on Sourceforge may prompt you to switch to xlwt (i.e. "Excel write"), a fork of pyExcelerator (fixed known and unknown bugs, improved performance, and runs under Python 2.3) -- available from
https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/xlwt/trunk

See also http://groups.google.com/group/python-excel [to which I've CCed this reply].

but I can't figure out a
few things:

(1)  I set the cell style to '0.00%' but the style does not work.

That isn't a style, it's a "number format". See num_formats.py in the examples directory.

(2)  I want to place a border around the cells( x1, y1, x2, y2 ) but I
can't find any example of doing that.
Well I do see ONE example, but it erases the cells if I do it after,
or when I write to the cells that erases the outline.

At the moment, neither pyExcelerator nor xlwt offer a style-setting facility that's independent of the Worksheet.write method. It could well be a useful enhancement.

Surely I don't have to tediously set each cells border?

Perhaps you could suggest what you think the API for setting a border on a rectangle should be.

Each cell's border has to be set somehow. With a style_setting approach, there are 8 different cases (4 sides and 4 corners). With an independent border-setting approach, there would be only 4 different cases (4 sides) ... this needs looking at to see how easily the existing data model would support it.

Regards,
John